Reading is for Everyone
For many people reading has become a challenge because they are unable to read standard print. What many people do not know is that it is still possible to enjoy selecting a favorite book and entering the imagination of the writer through a service provided by the Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (LBPH).
LBPH lends books, on a wide range of subject interests, in braille, audio, and in large type. A qualified team of librarians is also available to assist with selection. Best of all, the service is free, statewide and can be brought to you through the U.S. mail.
Who can use us?
You are eligible for the service if you are:
- Legally Blind - vision of 20/200 or less with glasses; a visual field of 20 degrees
- Visually Limited - difficulty focusing long enough to read standard print without special aids
- Physically Limited - difficulty handling a book or turning pages.
- Reading Disabled - due to an organic dysfunction such as dyslexia.
what do we offer?
The library collection consists mainly of books which include categories of popular fiction and nonfiction, best sellers, the classics, poetry, history, biographies, religious literature, children’s books and books in foreign languages. There are also over seventy popular magazines from which to choose.
LBPH offers the following additional services:
- After hours ordering - request books after normal business hours.
- In-house assistive aids - use print enlarging equipment, personal reading machines and an accessible workstation for people with disabilities
- Descriptive videos - receive audio described books.
- Interlibrary Loan - borrow books from sources outside the library
- Referrals - receive information on organizations or individuals offering special services.
- Marylandia Collection - enjoy in-house produced books of local interest
- At home browsing - access LBPH catalog on-line if you have a computer and a modem
- Programs - participate in Braille Buddy Story Hour for children and other programs.
- Newsletter - read about LBPH activities, programs and other news.
how can i apply?
- Print and complete the application and return to LBPH
- Request an application at your local public library
- Request an application by calling LBPH at any of the numbers listed at the top of this page
The library is open: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and the second Saturday of each month. 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
about this program
LBPH is part of the national network of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped(NLS), Library of Congress. This service is provided in every state.
The Maryland State Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, creed, gender identity and expression, genetic information, marital status, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation in matters affecting employment or in providing access to programs.